I’ve been using Nuzest protein (discount code chefamber) and one of the things I love about it is how clean and simple it is. In the vanilla protein, the ingredients are simply: pea protein isolate, vanilla flavor, and thaumatin, aka katemfe fruit extract.
I like to know exactly what it is I’m eating, so I did some research on katemfe fruit extract, or thaumatin. Now you can use Nuzest protein, and anything else containing thaumatin, with peace of mind.
Important Facts About Thaumatin:
- It has a 0 glycemic index, so it’s totally suitable for diabetics.
- It doesn’t harm your teeth because it’s not broken down by the bacteria in your mouth.
- It’s not for sale on its own. It’s used in really tiny amounts and often in combination with other sweeteners or flavors.
- There’s no aftertaste and it’s used not just to sweeten, but to enhance flavors.
- It’s GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) but people can be allergic to it, so it’s not used in foods for small children or infants.
- It’s collected by loans in the rainforests in West Africa, and processed naturally.
- There are 4 calories per gram.
Nuzest provides an overview too.
Enjoy your smoothies in good health!