Before stone-fruit season is over, I’m try to find all the ways I can enjoy it. This kale salad is a lovely end-of-summer treat. Sweet and savory, the plums and peaches perfectly contrast the tomato and feta, and the fennel gives it a crisp crunch. The trick is to massage the kale for 2 minutes so it softens up. I grill the peaches on a grill plate on my stove, but of course you can grill them outside too. If you let the grill or grill plate get nice and hot, you’ll get those beautiful grill lines and this salad will be instagram-ready! I think you’re gonna love it. Let me know how it goes.
1 head of kale, torn and stems removed
1 peach, sliced and lightly grilled
2 plums, sliced
2 roma tomatoes, sliced
½ small fennel bulb, sliced
12 mint leaves, torn
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
juice from 1 orange
juice from 1 lemon
½ teaspoon salt
a pinch crushed red pepper
¼ cup feta cheese
¼ cup chopped nuts and/or seeds (Use your favorites. I like roasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds.)
- Combine the olive oil, citrus juice, salt and pepper to make your dressing.
- Massage the kale with the dressing for 2 minutes.
- Add all the rest of ingredients and lightly toss together.
- Either chop or blend your nuts and seeds for your crunchy topping.
- Top with feta and nuts/seeds and enjoy!