I love snacking on sugar snap peas raw when they are in season, and cleaning peas always reminds me of cooking in the kitchen with my grandma when I was young. This dip is light and can be served with veggies, bread or tossed into a salad or wrap.
2 cups sugar snap peas
Juice from 1 orange
Juice from 1/2 lemon
3/4 teaspoon salt
a pinch crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
Small handful mint leaves
- Trim the tough string that is on the inner part of the pea by severing the top of the pea and peeling the string off with a paring knife.
- As you are cleaning and trimming your peas, boil some water. After the peas are trimmed, boil the peas for just 2 minutes. Before the peas go in or as they are cooking, get your ice bath ready by filling a large bowl with ice and water.
- After 2 minutes strain the peas and put them into the ice bath to stop cooking.
- In a food processor blend the cooled peas and all the other ingredients except the mint leaves together for a few minutes until combined. It should be chunky.
- At the very end, add the mint leaves and adjust the seasoning to taste, making it spicier if you want by adding more red pepper.
Make a delicious salad by mixing your sugar snap pea dip with:
- (already cooked) quinoa
- raw sugar snap peas
- radish slices
- juice from 1/2 orange
- mint leaves