While I was home with my family, I wanted to provide as much nutrition as possible for my family. It’s one way I nurture those I love. So I made this chocolate chip cookie protein bar for my nephews. They packs great protein and healthy fats from the coconut oil, flax seeds, chia seeds, and collagen/protein powder, and still taste like cookies!
2 cups Bob’s Red Mill gluten free flour
¼ cup flax meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup collagen powder (or plant based protein powder to keep these cookie bars vegan)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegan chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand.)
1 tablespoon + 1 ½ teaspoons chia seed gel
1 cup coconut oil, melted
5 tablespoons sweet potato puree (canned or homemade)
1 tablespoon vanilla
¾ cup coconut sugar
- To make Chia Seed gel, mix ¼ cup chia seeds with ½ cup water and let soak for 10-15 minutes until it thickens. (You can use the extra gel in your smoothies.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×9 pan.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add ¾ cups chocolate chips.
- Press the mixture into the pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- While it’s still hot, sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips on top and spread with a spatula as they melt.